website stats

Monday, September 12, 2005

Shameless plug: Gene Meyer


I didn't go to work today, so I didn't wear a tie. Therefore today's entry is one I wore BTB (Before Tie Blog). Gene Meyer is arguably the most iconic (and collectible) tie designer of the last twenty years. His big, simple geometric patterns in high-contrast colors are unmistakeable (as is his signature polka-dot tipping), and are a favorite of artistic types; two sightings that spring to mind are Ryan Stiles on Whose Line Is It Anyway? (American version), and Hirshorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Director Ned Rifkin in a feature story about him in the Washington Post Magazine. Gene Meyer began his fashion career designing women's clothes for Geoffrey Beene before starting his own menswear company. I've never owned any Gene Meyer clothing other than ties, but from the pictures I've seen they are pretty flashy and probably too high-fashion for my civil service job. He has also designed a line of accessories for Acme Studios and an amazing line of rugs as well. Maybe someday I will come across one of those in a thrift store...

So what's the "shameless plug?" I am auctioning this tie on eBay right now (September 11-18). This tie is too valuable to just hang in my closet; I need the cash to fund more tie purchases!

No comments: