website stats

Monday, March 20, 2006

Alexander Shields

I wore a square-bottomed Rooster tie a few weeks ago, and in my posting mentioned a fabulous square-bottomed tie by Alexander Shields that I used to have. Well, I just found a picture of it, and here it is. It's a skillful synthesis of Mod and Hawaiian, and it's one of my all-time favorites; maybe I shouldn't have sold it. On the other hand, I just don't have room to keep every tie I like. That's one of the reasons I started this blog: as a kind of scrapbook in lieu of a physical collection. And it's a lot easier to look through than a closet full of ties. I now return to my mini spring break.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know where to find cologne by Alexander Shields? My Dad used to wear it and we can't find it any more. If you can help, we would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, the Alexander Shields Sandalwood cologne is no longer manufactured...neither are the ties or the fabulous menswear collections. I will pass the message along and it will be most appreciated that you have been asking about it. Firstly, it is hard to get the true Sandalwood from the areas where if I understood correctly fighting is occurring. I would like to add here that recently there have been an onslaught on eBay of fake Alexander Shields labels sewn onto any old frumpy menswear that are definitely not Alexander Shields designs. I have tried to stop this forgery and misrepresentation but it is way too complicated. And by the way, I luckily still have some inches of cologne to enjoy and I savor it preciously as it is part of my DNA. Kindly, daughter of A/S

Burl Veneer said...

Thank you for the follow-up! I hope this one is a real Alexander Shields.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is definitely authentic. You have had several ties blogged and all are the real thing and bring back fabulous memories. I miss his designs. Kindly, daughter of A/S

Anonymous said...

i bought alexander shields sandalwood @ hudson's in downtown detroit around 1967. one drop would last the entire evening. it was the best fragrance ever.my bottle lasted for years.alex. shields also sold a lemon scent which was quite nice. i wonder who has the ownership to the recipes.

Anonymous said...

Is Alex still alive? I bought that cologne as fast as they could get it back in the 70's and then it was hard to find. Does anyone still know the ingrediants for it?