website stats

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Dacron

Hola, amigos! I know it's been a long time since I rapped at ya, but it's been a busy week in the Veneer househould. Rather than bore you with the details, I'll jump right into talking about Dacron! Today's (i.e., Wednesday's) tie is a geometric print on 100% Dacron polyester by necktie behemoth Superba. Just when I think I know all there is to know about Dacron, I learn some more. Dacron was developed by DuPont in 1950, but it was not the first polyester material; that was Terylene, developed by Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) of Britain in 1941 and licensed to DuPont in 1945, from which DuPont developed Dacron. But wait, it gets more complicated: Terylene's invention was based on the writings of Dr. Wallace Carothers, a Harvard chemist who went to work for DuPont in 1927. DuPont and ICI shared information with each other, and while Carothers and DuPont pursued nylon technology (and also invented neoprene), ICI was working on polyester. So I think it's safe to call Carothers the father of modern synthetic fabrics. Dacron is still produced today, its durability being a key selling point. The polymer filament is available in a variety of cross-sections, just as weed trimmer line is on a larger scale.

No comments: