website stats

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Boxelder Week, Day 2: Frank Lloyd Wright

Judging by the number of ties I've seen for sale and actually being worn, I would say that Boxelder's Frank Lloyd Wright line of ties, produced under license from the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, is their most popular. Today's tie, Ferns, is based on a 1956 screen design by Wright's protege Eugene Masselink for the master bedroom of Elizabeth Gordon's house in Dobbs Ferry, New York. The fronds of the ferns are finely delineated in gold on the tie; too finely to show up in this picture, unfortunately.

In college I took a course in modern architecture. The professor had it in for Wright and favored more stark practitioners such as Mies van der Rohe, Richard Meier, and Helmut Jahn. I liked his contrarian viewpoint, so I adopted it myself. But in the intervening years I have discovered for myself that I really like Wright's designs! And not just his buildings, but his furniture and decor as well demonstrate a masterful synthesis of traditional and modern elements. I've been to Fallingwater, and I hope to visit more of his buildings in the indeterminate future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lakeland, FL, where I live, has the largest single site of FLWright buildings in the world at Florida Southern College. Take a virtual walking tour (sweat and skeeters omitted) at http://www.flsouthern.edu/fllwctr/FLLWTour.htm

Michael

Burl Veneer said...

Wow, I didn't even know about that, I've been looking at pictures online and the buildings are incredible! I'll have to add that to the long list of eventual vacation spots. Thanks!

BV

Anonymous said...

Ooh la love. FLW was way ahead of his time.

Reminds me, has Gehry made ties yet? Seems like he has new management that's getting him to cash i-- mmm, branch out creatively. Though he's not quite the genius FLW was, still would be interested in his fashion...

Burl Veneer said...

I don't quite get Gehry (as I mentioned in my entry on a tie by architect John Outram), but I'm sure some of his designs could be distilled into great necktie designs. Boxelder has added Santiago Calatrava to its architects line, but given his soaring works, the ties are rather dull. Thanks for visiting!

BV