website stats

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Dad's Ties Week, Day 1: Arts and Crafts

(If you've clicked over here from 52 cupcakes, you might like this tie; not cupcakes, but the closest thing I have!)

One factor in my passion for neckties is probably having grown up with a father who wore fabulous ties. Dad, a retired botany professor, has graciously lent me some of my favorite ties of his, all of which made an impression on me in my formative years, to feature on the blog this week. Several years after Dad's retirement, I now work at the same university where he worked, and this week his ties will liven up the campus once again. He bought this one from a vendor at a sidewalk arts & crafts fair in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in 1967. He would wear this tie to deliver his biannual lecture on induction of flowering. Which wasn't nearly often enough, if you ask me (as if I have room to talk). The tie is hand made of a heavy cotton fabric, with a single label reading "B.C.S." But we don't know who that is! If you can put me in touch with the enigmatic B.C.S., please do, I want more ties like this.

One of the fun aspects of doing this blog is hearing from other necktie enthusiasts and artists. My latest crafty visitor is Catherine Gutsche of Ottawa, who uses neckties as a starting point for wonderful paintings, which can be seen here. And while you're there, check out her other art, too!

No comments: