website stats

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Off the bias

Well, I managed to find a tie pattern with a perpendicular orientation to match the perpendicular orientation of this shirt pattern (and colors in the same ballpark, roughly), as opposed to my previous "wrong angles" post. But, the tie is perpendicular because the silk is not cut on the bias, and sure enough, the tie was twisting below the knot all day. So kudos to Jesse Langsdorf, who patented the on-the-bias "Resilio" necktie construction method in 1924; it really does make a difference. This tie is from Mark Chrisman of Florida, made of "imported English silk foulard." The print style on the labels indicates it's of some vintage; I'll stick with my usual guess of 1970. Construction aside, I love this tie, but I'd like to see the pattern on something big enough for it to repeat more, like a shirt. I won't hold my breath, though.

2 comments:

patjhoward said...

Mark Chrisman was in business from the early 1960's to around 1982 with the first store in Pompano Beach, then Boca Raton, Naples and Vero Beach Florida.

Burl Veneer said...

Thank you for the info, Pat!